Vinegaroon Spider Bite – Is it Dangerous?

If you’re like most people, you probably hate spiders (we know we do!). While the vinegaroon spider is a beautiful creature, getting bitten by one isn’t fun.

While they aren’t poisonous, their bite can sting a little. They rarely attack humans, and will generally reserve a bite for when they feel threatened.

Let’s learn more about vinegaroon spider bites.

Treating a Vinegaroon Spider Bite

vinegaroon spider

If you’re bitten by a vinegaroon spider, the only thing you’ll need to worry about is infection. That’s because these spiders’ fangs don’t contain poison.

Clean the affected area with warm water and anti-microbial soap and wrap with gauze or a bandage.

It’s highly unlikely that the bite will lead to an infection. Still, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Bottom Line: Since these spiders aren’t venomous, they won’t kill you. However, you should make sure that the bite doesn’t get infected.

When Should You See a Doctor?

infected spider bite

As we mentioned, this spider isn’t venomous. There’s no need to worry about poison getting into your system.

In very rare cases, you might need to see a doctor. Contact your doctor if the bite shows the following symptoms:

  • Redness
  • Swelling
  • Pain
  • Pus
  • Open Sores
  • Itchiness

If these don’t subside within a day, or if they’re getting worse, it’s a sign that the bite has gotten infected. This typically won’t happen in young, healthy people.

Since older people have weaker immune systems than younger people, they may be affected more.

Bottom Line: If your vinegaroon spider bite leads to pain, redness, itching, swelling, or an open sore that won’t go away, then visit a doctor.

Why Do Vinegaroon Spider Bites Happen?

The vinegaroon spider is a remarkable creature found primarily in western parts of the United States.

At first glance, you’ll notice that they look like a spider and scorpion mix. Quite scary looking indeed!

Don’t be alarmed- they don’t kill. In fact, this spider’s bite isn’t the most dangerous thing about it- it’s their acidic spray.

When they feel threatened, they release a slightly acidic spray that can hurt if it gets in your eyes.

They rarely attack humans. In fact, the only time they’ll attack is if they feel threatened (the same holds true for most spiders).

Bottom Line: It’s not the vinegaroon spider bite that you need to worry about- it’s their acidic spray, which can be painful to the eyes.

Are Vinegaroon Spiders Venomous?

In short, no. If you’re bitten, you won’t need to worry about a toxic reaction. While the bite might sting a little, it’s not going to kill you.

You’ll probably feel more pain from the acidic spray getting in your eyes than a bite. How acidic is the spray?

Put it this way: it would feel like pouring vinegar over your eyes. Painful? Yes, but not enough to kill you.

Don’t freak out if you’re bitten because a veingaroon spider bite doesn’t contain poison.

Bottom Line: A bite from a vinegaroon spider is relatively harmless since they aren’t venomous creatures.

Be Careful in Dark Places

Vinegaroon spiders are nocturnal creatures. Thus, you’ll rarely, if ever, see them out during the day.

When in the dark, especially in the desert, keep an eye out. Be extra attentive if you live in the western part of the United States since they’re common there.

With that said, if you’re in the dark and get bitten, don’t automatically assume it was a vinegaroon spider bite.

It could have been a snake bite, scorpion sting, or something else potentially venomous. However, if you see this spider bite you, there’s no need to panic.

Bottom Line: These spiders love being in the dark. If you’re in the western part of the U.S and in the dark, be on the lookout.

Our Recommendation- Keep Your Distance  

If you see a vinegaroon spider in the wild, just leave it alone. These spiders are naturally very anti-social.

If they feel threatened, they’ll either bite you or release their acidic spray. If you’re going to observe them, do it from a safe distance.

If you have children with you, make sure that they stay far away from the spider (since children are naturally curious and touchy).

Ask a Question: If you want to ask a medical doctor a question that hasn't been answered in one of our articles go to: Ask a Medical Doctor About your Symptoms

Did you find the information in this article helpful?


  • I’m in New Mexico Albuquerque to be precise. I’ve seen probably 10 of these in my life. I’m 60 now, so these things are reclusive. They don’t like us any more than we like them. If you have not experienced one running up on you, and not seen one before they can be frightening. I’m used to scorpions but this scared the hell out of me. And there’s not much I’m afraid of. If you find it in your house try not to kill it, just put it outside. If possible. They’re not poisonous nasty sting but it won’t kill you. But it will kill and eat all of the other bugs we hate to deal with.

    • I live in Reserve, NM Catron County, & I have seen 2 in 6 yrs. Found one last night on my way to the bathroom. I put a bowl on top of it until AM, when I could get it in a jar & throw it outside in a field. This one was huge! I wanted to do some research on it, because I didn’t know if their sting was poisonous, or that their crab-like claws could pinch? Just glad I saw it before I stepped on it! Now I am curious about how it got into my house? I have screens on windows & both front & back doors Glad my cats didn’t mess w/ it either, they play w/ things that move, especially something 4″ long. OH well, we have to share this planet & bugs were probably here a long time before humans. Very interesting to study these scary bugs up-close,so weird looking!

  • Indonesia here. We got them in loads, coming in especially after a flood. Poor refugees. No mercy though, I usually hose them out the pavement/veranda to the sewer. They have better chance of survivng there than my husband’s infamous broom whack and/or insecticide spray (he’s the bug assassin). Strongly hate the strong acidic scent, but hey that’s an indication that they’re around, thus my kids can take precaution and stay off the floor and further away from the scent.
    Thanks for the article, very helpful. Relieved to know they aren’t venomous/poisonous.

  • I certainly don’t know what the heck you people are talking about! First, they are not spiders but are certainly related to them. And secondly, what bite?? I have been handling these animals in educational, field, and informal settings, wild and captive for nearly 30 years and have NEVER been bitten! Even the wild ones who will display their formidable pedipalps (claws) are loath to even pinching when you place a finger between them. I would never hesitate to let children carefully hold them as they are among the most docile arachnids I know.

Leave a Comment