Normal allergy or mosquito-borne disease?

This post is a response by a doctor to a question one of our community members asked.

Kennedy Asks:

I am Kennedy, the kid who is 10 years old (yes, I seeked help by asking if I have BFS or another serious disease.) Here is my other problem:

I was recently bitten by a mosquito and exposed to many allergens (including ragweed), since the mosquitoes like my blood type, but then, this morning when I woke up I noticed a sudden itch on my left buttock. I noticed there were two bumps, white colored, next to each other, with a minimal redness around it. I just itched it, and left it alone. But then I got the same shaped bump on the side of my upper right leg. They are itchy, but sometimes they don’t have any effect. Will they pass by or should I worry?
Sincerely, Kennedy.

Dr Alejandro’s reply:

Hello Kennedy,

I heard you were doing great, I’m really happy about that.
Now, regarding your recent skin problem, it does appear to be an allergic reaction, commonly known as hives, and medically known as urticaria.

Urticaria is a kind of skin rash with red, white centered, raised, itchy bumps. Often the patches of rash move around. Typically, they last a few days and do not leave any long-lasting skin changes. However, in some cases, they may last up to 6 weeks, which is referred as chronic urticaria.

Urticarial reactions often arise after an infection or as a result of an allergic reaction such as to medication, insect bites, or food. Some other triggers include psychological stress, cold temperature, or vibration. Nevertheless, in half of cases the cause remains unknown.
In your specific case, both the mosquito bites and the exposure to ragweed are common causes of hives However, mosquito bite induced urticaria last for a couple of hours, while ragweed’s tend to last longer. Also, ragweed is known for being one of the most allergic plants.

The best course of treatment is prevention, avoiding the factor causing this condition. This may include using an insect repellent, if it is indeed your case. In order to know what is the cause of the skin allergic reaction you have been presenting, a test for allergies (either a skin testing or blood testing) needs to be carried out by an Allergologist. It is important that you talk to you parents about your skin condition so proper medical care is taken. However, you should not be worried as, in my experience, it seems to be a minor skin problem.

I hope you continue doing great and that your skin problems go away soon (and they will).

Dr. Alejandro.

Ask a Question: If you want to ask a medical doctor a question that hasn't been answered in one of our articles go to: Ask a Medical Doctor About your Symptoms

Did you find the information in this article helpful?

Leave a Comment